Friday, July 29, 2011

Leaving My Heart in London

I’m officially done with my internship in London. I can’t believe how fast the past two months went by. There’s still so much I want to do in the city and places I wanted to travel to. I guess I’ll just have to come back! It was such an amazing experience. Through college all I ever wanted to do was study abroad in England and when I started my senior year with no solid plans, I began to wonder if I’d ever make it to London. Shout out to Colin Herr for suggesting this program!! I’m really glad I chose to work rather than study. Especially as someone who just graduated, this was amazing to be in a big name PR agency and really see how the industry works.  I’m not sure if PR is in my future career plans, but I really like it. I think I might try a smaller, in-house organization to work in though. The agency world is insane! I was challenged every day at work and some days were definitely more stressful than others. I was so fortunate to have Laura Cooley with me! I couldn’t imagine doing this without another intern. It was so nice to have someone there for help and motivation.
On our last day our office prepared drinks for everyone at the end of the day and gave us a card and we each got a bottle of Champagne! It’s very convenient having a wine brand as one of your biggest clients.  My supervisor was great too. She was so patient with us and gave us work that not many people would trust interns to do. She even left for four days last week and had Laura and I “running the company”, which was a little terrifying. But Rogers and Cowan didn’t fall and we managed to keep up with all the clients and even got some new placement interest! Just as we start to get the hang of it, we leave. I guess that’s how it goes.
My mom arrived in London yesterday and I saw her for a little bit. With the last day and the dinner we had to go to, it was pretty busy so we didn’t have a lot of time to talk.  Tomorrow I think we’re heading to the Tower of London and on Sunday we depart for Dublin on a ferry! I’m really excited to get back to Ireland and see the countryside. I’ve been in the city for so long it’ll be nice to be open spaces and taking a mini road trip around Ireland.
So London, it’s been amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience and I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment